Emergency Phone Numbers
GW Police Department (GWPD): (202) 994-6111
Mount Vernon Campus: (202) 242-6111
All other campuses: 911
- University Information Line - (202) 994-5050
- Health and Safety - (202) 994-4347
- Emergency Management - (202) 994-4936
GW Alert is the university notification system that sends emergency alerts to e-mail addresses, mobile devices (text messages), institutional IP desk and residence hall phones, social media and university web pages. Students, faculty, and staff are requested to maintain current contact information by logging into the GW Alert Portal using your GW NetID and password.
In addition to GW Alert, you may choose to sign up to receive alerts from your local District of Columbia, Virginia or Maryland jurisdiction.
- CAPITALERT.gov is a clearinghouse for emergency alert systems in the National Capital Region including the District of Columbia's AlertDC.
- Wireless Emergency Alerts may be issued by the National Weather Services (for severe weather alerts in your current location) or by the President of the United States. These alerts will be received on any WEA-capable devices.
GW Personal Alarm Locator (GW PAL)
The GW Personal Alarm Locator (GW PAL) is a mobile safety and security application that can be downloaded on an iOS or Android smartphone. The GW PAL app allows users to alert the GW Police Department of a crime, report crime tips anonymously, provide a safety profile, and identify their location in real time. GW PAL can also be used to request a 4RIDE, a safe ride on campus.
Campus Advisories is the university's primary website used for communicating emergency preparedness and incident-related information to the GW community. Users can visit this site for updates and changes in university status, adverse weather conditions, important issues concerning safety, and anything else that may disrupt normal operations.