GW Alert Instructions
- Log in to the GW Alert portal using your GW UserID and password. You may be asked to search for "George Washington University" when you first log in. This will bring you to the "My Account" page.
- You will see your name, GW email, and any mobile numbers that were transferred from GWeb or GW Housing systems.
- Click "add" next to the mobile phone or email boxes to add additional contact information. You may add up to 2 additional email addresses and 3 mobile phone numbers. You will be asked to verify your carrier information, as well as to confirm that the GW Alert system can send messages to your mobile device. Follow the instructions provided on the screen to complete the setup.
- If you have a land-line, you may add it to the "Voice Only Line Contacts" section to receive voice alerts. You may add up to 3 land-lines. NOTE: Voice alerts are not used for every GW Alert.
You may use the test function (yellow button) next to your contact information in the GW Alert portal to have the system send you a message to check your registration.
All community members are automatically registered to receive Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon messaging, as well as GW Alerts that affect the entire University.
If you wish to be able to receive specific alerts regarding other GW campus locations or affiliations, use the following steps:
- Click the "Groups" tab.
- Click "Find Groups" to see the available list of user groups
- Click on the name of the group you wish to join.
- Under "Actions", click on the word "Join".
To change notification settings for your current groups, under the "Groups" tab, click on "My Groups".
Make sure that you have claimed your UserID. To claim your UserID, visit https://it.gwu.edu/accounts. Please allow 24 hours to gain access to GW Alert. If you are still having trouble, contact the DIT HelpDesk at [email protected] or 202-994-4948.
Failure to receive text messages or the confirmation code may be due to a premium messaging block placed by your carrier (e.g.: Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.). Please contact your carrier and ask to have messages from shortcode 226787, 67283, 78015, and 81437 delivered to your device.
Parents or spouses of students or employees cannot sign up for GW Alert text message or email alerts independently. However, up to three mobile devices and two email addresses can be added to a GW community member’s user profile. This can be done through the GW Alert portal. Note: The user’s gwu.edu email address is standard and cannot be changed or edited.
In order to ensure that the system supports the university’s mission to provide a safe living, learning, and working environment, students, faculty, and staff cannot unsubscribe their gwu.edu email account.
Certain areas of GWeb (Banner) and the GW Housing System (Resident Management System) are synchronized with GW Alert. Any fields in your GW Personal Information page that are labeled "cellphone" will be transferred, but it may take up to 24 hours. It is recommended that you use the GW Alert portal if you wish to immediately update or confirm any personal information.
GW Campus Advisories is still the principal method to communicate incident related information to the GW community. Students, faculty, staff, and visitors should use this web site to stay informed about:
- Changes in university status;
- Adverse weather conditions;
- Important issues concerning safety; and
- Anything else that may disrupt normal operations.
For more information on GW emergency communications, visit Stay Informed.
Account removals through GW information technology systems may take several months to process. Contact the DIT HelpDesk at [email protected] or 202-994-4948 for more information. In the meantime, you may remove and unsubscribe all contact information, except for your gwu.edu email address, by following the directions above.
GW Emergency Services
Emergency: (202) 994-6111
GW Police Department & EMeRG
Non-Emergency: (202) 994-6110
Environmental Health & Safety
Office of Emergency Management
Office of Advocacy & Support