Residence Hall Safety & Security
The following items are prohibited from residence halls and will be confiscated if found:
- Candles, incense, and fragrance burners (unless religious observance while attended)
- Non-surge protected extension cords (examples)
- Halogen lamps (all desk and floor lamps)
- Lanterns/oil lamps and flammable liquids
- Liquid lighter fluid & Butane, no more than 12 ounces
- Live holiday decorations (trees, garlands, etc.)
- Weapons/FIreworks (GW Policy)
- 3D printers
- Hazardous materials (not including household cleaners)
- Portable/space heaters/ Microwaves or refrigerators (unless supplied by GW Facilities)
- Cooking appliances in rooms without kitchens. Storing of small kitchen appliances is permitted, using small kitchen appliances is prohibited.
This list is subject to change.
The GW Fire Safety Plan is based on the premise that most fires are preventable and all members of the university community have the responsibility to prevent fires.
All students should be aware of potential fire hazards related to a campus environment.
Fire Extinguisher: Fire extinguishers are installed throughout GW campus, as required by DC Fire Code. Extinguishers that are out of date, damaged, discharged or missing should be reported immediately to Facilities Services at 202-994-6706, option #2.
Fire Drills: Fire drills, also known as emergency evacuation drills, are conducted in each residence hall in accordance with the International Fire Code (Chapter 4, Section 405: Emergency Evacuation Drills), and District of Columbia Fire Code.