Prohibited Items List
GW conducts residence hall inspections to ensure the safety of everybody living in university-owned buildings. Inspections are conducted two times a year, fall and spring, in university-owned property in accordance with GW's undergraduate Housing License Agreement(s), to ensure compliance with university policy and local statutes. Inspections are announced in the fall semester and spring semester. Fire hazards, such as candles and extension cords, are discarded. Items such as cooking appliances are donated to local charities at the end of the semester
The following items are prohibited from residence halls and will be confiscated if found:
- Candles, incense, and fragrance burners (unless religious observance while attended)
- Non-surge protected extension cords (examples)
- Halogen lamps (all desk and floor lamps)
- Lanterns/oil lamps and flammable liquids
- Liquid lighter fluid & Butane, no more than 12 ounces
- Live holiday decorations (trees, garlands, etc.)
- Weapons/FIreworks (GW Policy)
- 3D printers
- Hazardous materials (not including household cleaners)
- Portable/space heaters/ Microwaves or refrigerators (unless supplied by GW Facilities)
- Cooking appliances in rooms without kitchens. Storing of small kitchen appliances is permitted, using small kitchen appliances is prohibited.
This list is subject to change.
Any and all questions should be sent to [email protected]