GW conducts residence hall inspections to ensure the safety of everybody living in university-owned buildings. Inspections are conducted three times a year, fall, spring, and summer, in university-owned property in accordance with GW Housing License Agreement(s), to ensure compliance with university policy and local statutes. Inspections are announced in the fall semester and during the summer. The spring semester inspections are not announced. Fire hazards, such as candles and extension cords, are discarded. Items such as cooking appliances are donated to local charities at the end of the semester.
The following items are prohibited from residence halls and will be confiscated if found:
- Candles, incense, and fragrance burners
- Non-surge protected extension cords
- Hoverboards (self-balancing scooters, battery-operated scooters, hands-free Segways)
- Unmanned aircraft system (UAS), commonly known as a drone
- Halogen lamps (all desk and floor lamps)
- Lanterns/oil lamps and flammable liquids
- Liquid lighter fluid (Naphtha), no more than 4 ounces
- Live holiday decorations (trees, garlands, etc.)
- Weapons, including pocket knives, knives in a sheath, spears, swords, souvenir weapons, firearms, ammunition, and BB, air, pellet or paintball guns, tasers, stun guns, expandable batons or impact weapons, 3D printers capable of producing any of the prohibited items.
- Chemical mace or pepper spray (no more than .5 ounces)
- Illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, and/or drug manufacturing materials
- Alcohol (if underage)
- Hazardous materials (not including household cleaners)
- Portable/space heaters (unless supplied by GW Facilities)
- Cooking appliances in non-cooking areas including hot plates, crock pots, waffle irons, toasters, toaster ovens, George Foreman grills, sandwich makers and popcorn poppers
- Microwaves or refrigerators (unless supplied by GW Facilities)
- Butane and butane torch lighters
This list is subject to change.