To ensure all respirators (such as N95 masks) required for work, research, or education at the George Washington University are being worn appropriately, securely, and safely. This includes affirming a proper seal between the mask's facepiece and the wearer's face so as to prevent contaminated air or hazardous substances from penetrating the respirator and being inhaled.
Any individual affiliated with the George Washington University (students, faculty, staff, etc.) whose role requires them to wear a respirator. A fit test should be conducted:
- When the user receives a new respirator or facepiece, and
- Every year following the initial fit test with the same respirator or facepiece.
1.0 hours for every 10 participants.
Fit Testing Requirements
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- Make sure your department has provided you with a NIOSH-approved respirator prior to being fit tested, and that you have it with you.
- Do not eat or drink 30 minutes prior.
- Individuals must be clean-shaven*. No mustache, beard, or stubble should be grown past/below the chin. This will interfere with the respirator seal.
*Individuals wishing to request an exemption to the clean-shaven guideline will need to submit a waiver and complete additional training in a Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR). Please contact your lab manager, instructor, Principal Investigator, or Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO) for additional information.